How to Apply
Below you’ll find information on how to apply to become a Habitat homeowner and purchase one of our homes. Please read the following information carefully, and if you have any questions at all, you can contact Mandy Jansen at (202) 882-4600 ext. 200.
2. Check out our available properties and RSVP for the next Information Session or showing that we have scheduled for the property you’re interested in by calling (202) 882-4600 ext. 200. Information Session dates are posted on our calendar as soon as they are scheduled;
3. Once you have attended an Information Session, you can start completing the application, and turning in all required paperwork to DC Habitat staff by making an appointment with them;
4. When your application is complete, DC Habitat staff will complete an analysis of your financial situation, working with you on creating a housing budget, and determining if you meet our program requirements;
5. If you meet our program requirements, your application will be presented to our Board of Directors for final approval into our program.
The Board of Directors will either approve or deny your application. If approved:
6. Sign a Partnership Agreement;
7. Work on Sweat Equity hours;
8. When the home you applied for becomes available, you can sign a contract to purchase it, and secure it with a $500 deposit that will be held in escrow until closing
9. Once a contract is signed, you will need to work on getting the Notice of Eligibility from the Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP) from Greater Washington Urban League;
10. When you have the NOE, you will need to secure financing from one of our recommended partner leaders;
11. Get ready to close!